Indonesians May Be Evacuated From Quake-Hit Nepal on Tuesday
Jakarta. The repatriation of Indonesians stuck in disaster-stricken Nepal may commence as soon as Tuesday, Indonesia’s top military commander says.
More than 50 Indonesians are stuck in the Himalayan nation that was struck by a devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake late last month. Six Indonesians are still unaccounted for, Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) chief Gen. Moeldoko told reporters in Jakarta on Monday.
“We already have a record of almost all Indonesians who are now at one safe area,” he told news portal Kompas.com. “If there’s no obstacle, we can start evacuating them.”
Rescue teams and paramedics were flown to Nepal via a military-owned Hercules and a Garuda Indonesia Airbus last week. Members of the armed forces, Foreign Ministry and a representative of the Taruna Hiking Club have also traveled with the Indonesian relief team.
Among the six Indonesians still missing are three climbers who have been identified as Alma Parahita, Kadek Andana and Jeroen Hehuwat.
The death toll from last month’s devastating earthquake climbed to over 7,000, Nepal authorities confirmed on Sunday.
The post Indonesians May Be Evacuated From Quake-Hit Nepal on Tuesday appeared first on The Jakarta Globe.
Source: The Jakarta Globe